The recently uploaded searchable copies of the Church of Ireland Gazette yielded a very interesting mention of Ballincollig. This article was in the Church of Ireland Gazette on the 19th September 1913. It refers back to the founding of the Association of the Church Missionary Society in 1813. The association was set up by the officers and privates of the Royal Artillery stationed at Ballincollig Military Barracks.
The Centenary service in 1913, was held at the Garrison Church at Ballincollig. In attendance were the Bishop of Cork, Bishop Taylor Smith, Chaplain General to the Forces; Canon Webster, Bishop’s Chaplain; Rev. E. Gibbings, Rector of Carrigrohane and Acting Chaplain to the Forces; and Rev. H. G. Warren, M.A., C. M. S., District Secretary. Bishop Taylor Smith was the special preacher.
There is a short description of the Garrison Church including a reference to a tablet on the west wall which was erected to the memory of the Rev. Henry Irwin, Chaplain to the Forces and founder of the first C. M. S. Association in Ireland.
[Added January 2016]