Oriel House is an early nineteenth century Georgian house, originally built as part of the Administration offices for the Ballincollig Gunpowder Mills, by the British Board of Ordnance under the supervision of Charles Wilkes. The house later became the home of Sir Thomas Tobin who acquired the mills in 1834.
Oriel House acquired its name “Oriel” from the round tower attached to the building. This feature was added by Sir Thomas Tobin to bring added brightness and light into the upper room where his wife painted.
Oriel House is now an expanded and modern hotel but the old house (below) has been carefully restored.
Oriel House website
Article and photos by Jenny Webb