The following is a short summary of old church sites in Ballincollig.
“The Parish of Kilnaglory was composed of fourteen townlands including Ballincollig, Ballynora, Greenfield, Lisheens, Ballyburden, Ballyguilley etc.” (ref. Ballincollig A Local History by Dermot O’Donovan).
There is a ruined church at Kilnaglory and a graveyard which is still in use.
Use the following link for the Ballincollig Military Cemetery records:
Ballincollig Military Cemetery
There was a Catholic chapel at Clash Cross. The site was in a field on the south side of the Killumney Road, a short distance from Clash Cross. This chapel lasted until 1808. There is no evidence of this church anymore. In 1808, a church was then built in the village of Ballincollig. This church later became the National School for a time.
The Catholic church of St Mary and St. John was completed and opened in 1866.
The adjoining graveyard was opened in 1956.
There was a Church of Ireland Chapel at the Ballincollig Military Barracks and a Military Cemetery (see Barracks page for photo) was opened in 1813 and continued to operate until 1922 when the Irish army took over the barracks.
Other graveyards/cemeteries near Ballincollig are: Athnowen at Ovens, Carrigrohane Beg, St. Peter’s at Carrigrohane, St. Senan’s, Inniscarra.
Athnowen Church is now derelict as you can see in the photo on the right.
updated July 2014